All sensitive information sent to the Alliance is kept confidential. Personal, identifying information is not collected from visitors to our site unless it has been voluntarily provided. However, information is collected for analysis and statistical purposes for site management functions. This information is not reported or used in any manner that would reveal personally identifiable information and will not be released to any outside parties unless legally required to do so in connection with law enforcement investigations or other legal proceedings.
We use log analysis tools to create summary statistics, which are used for purposes such as assessing what information is of most interest, determining technical design specifications, and identifying system performance or problem areas. The following information is collected for this analysis:
- User Client hostname - The hostname (or IP address if DNS is disabled) of the user/client requesting access.
- Protocol - The transport protocol and version used.
- HTTP header, "referrer" - The referrer specifies the page from which the client accessed the current page.
- Full request - The exact request the user/client made.
- HTTP header, "user-agent" - The user-agent information includes the type of browser, its version, and the operating system it's running on.
- System date - The date and time of the user/client request.
- Universal Resource Identifier (URI) - The location of a resource on the server.
- Method - The request method used.
- Query string of the URI - Anything after the question mark in a URI.
- Status - The status code the server returned to the user/client.
- Content length - The content length, in bytes, of the document sent to the user/client.
A cookie file contains unique information a web site can use to track such things as passwords, lists of pages you've visited, and the date when you last looked at a specific page or to identify your session at a particular web site. A cookie is often used in commercial sites to identify the items selected for a specific shopping cart application.
The Alliance uses a domain cookie only for eWeb authentication. Session cookies only exist during an active user's current session.
Information Collection and Use
The Alliance collects detailed user and organization profile information only to make it possible to provide online services like Alliance Bookmarks, the ability to add/remove users from mailing lists, and access to committee/team sites.
In order to provide you with the appropriate level of service, we may share personal information with other businesses that assist us in providing our services. The personally identifiable information that you provide will not be willfully sold or rented, but may be used in aggregate (i.e., non-personally identifiable) form to develop content and functionality that helps us serve our customers' needs and to improve the service we provide.
We reserve the right to sell or license aggregated information to third parties. As we continue to develop our business, we might sell or buy other businesses or assets. In such transactions, customer information generally is one of the transferred business assets. Also, in the unlikely event that the Alliance, or substantially all of its assets are acquired, customer information will of course be one of the transferred assets.
Because the Terms and Conditions related to the Alliance's web site might change from time to time, we encourage you to revisit this page often for the most current disclosure of our privacy practices.
- What information do we collect?
- This site automatically recognizes your domain name, IP address, browser version, operating system and the referring site you passed through to reach our site. We only collect information such as your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, and credit card information if you provide it in order to receive services such as e-mail updates, to order products from our online bookstore, or to register for meetings.
- How do we use the information we collect?
- We use the information we collect as you browse our site to manage our site more efficiently, improve the information we provide, and to develop new services and features to respond to our users' interests.
- Do we share any of this information with outside parties?
- We only share information with outside parties as needed to verify credit card information and process orders. We will also share information if we are legally required to do so.
- How can you stop receiving information from us?
- If you are receiving e-mail updates, newsletters, or other information from us that you wish to stop receiving, please let us know by e-mailing us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.